1. Finally unpacking my unhealthily large cosmetics collection #sorrynotsorry 2. Katsu Curry with Rice from @_YuKyu_ at Trinity Kitchen 3. Setting up for a Burns Night party 4. Eating What to Eat in February 5. Sweet Cured Beef for dessert at the Beef & Bourbon tasting event at RARE 6. Happy Husband <3 7. Posh nosh at Shears Yard 8. Leeds’ best roast? At Cross Keys 9. We’ve got kitchen shelves! 10. Selfie 11. Veg Board at The Reliance a few weekends ago 12. Learning to love coffee: the one shot Piccolo.
I have to apologise for being a bit few and far between these last couple of weeks. It’s not for lack of inspiration, I promise! Work is busy and I’ve had lots of lovely visits from family and friends taking care of my weekends. One small mercy of living so far from family is when they visit I get to show them the best sights (aka restaurants, cafes and bars!) in town. All for their benefit though, of course *licks lips*. Seriously though, I’ve been so spoilt lately that I’ll be putting together a “Where to Eat in Leeds” post in the next few weeks. I feel like I’m a pretty good authority on that now.
So, because of that, Matt and I are finally waking up and coming out to play after what feels like a whole winter of hibernation. With the house to deal with and a seriously limited budget after Christmas, a lot of our weekends have been spent locked away at home until now. Thankfully we’re getting out and about a bit more again now, eating in new, exciting places and revisiting old favourites too. While we were in though, we’ve devoured a lot of one pot chicken dishes and plenty of box sets, including season one of The Bridge. Love a bit of scandi-noir. Have you seen it? We’ve started working our way through True Detective now.
Things are going well with the house. We now have flooring throughout and skirting boards. I can’t believe how done everything looks. We keep wandering around saying “this looks like a real room now”. We still have gloss-work to paint, starting on the bathroom. After the painting in the bathroom is done I’m going to put together a little Before & After post – it’ll be our first finished room and I’m excited to share it. When I look at the pictures I can’t believe how far we’ve come. We also have some open shelving up in the kitchen which means I can unpack all my crockery and pans too. I’ll be sure to share some pictures once the wood is oiled and the boxes are empty. It means I can finally tell you all about my kitchen favourites and must-haves too, something I promised way back when I was talking about How to Eat Well. The kittens have arrived too, so if you have me on Instagram @whipuntilfluffy you might want to unfollow if you aren’t a fan of furry friends. Kittens and burgers are pretty much all you’ll see from me from now on, sorry (not sorry).
Here’s what I’ve been reading over the past few weeks:
- Rashida Jones tells us “There’s more than one way to be a woman and be sexy”.
- Bless gh0stparties, she’s always there to brighten my lunch hour. A few weeks ago she shared 5 Things: Using Social Media to Promote Your Blog.
- I love this idea from Cupcakes & Cashmere for the perfect hostess gift.
- This Mini Banner DIY is a really easy way to add something cute and different to your wall decorations. Perfect for a baby gift, too!
- I’m addicted to A Beautiful Mess, and not least the decorating updates on their new HQ – so inspirational, especially when you have as many blank walls as I do.
- I’ve been enjoying Nelly’s Adventures with Homemade Pasta – great for first time pasta makers. I’m thinking of doing a homemade pasta week in march – is that something you guys would enjoy?
- I like a bit of High Straightenance but Tracy’s Meal Prep is almost military. I’m useless at planning ahead, do you plan what you eat?
- This Savoury Seared Pear Salad with Honey-Tarragon Dressing from The Chubby Vegetarian has got me thinking ahead to spring.
- I think I might keep this pep talk from Bangs & a Bun on hand for every Monday morning when I’m thinking “why me?”
- If you’ve got kids (or just love colouring, I know I do!) you’ll love these freebies from Tiger Tea.
- These Brothy, Garlicky Beans from Food52 are a hearty, frugal dinner if you’re feeling the pinch.
- I really like this post from Belleau Kitchen: Dukkah Crusted Chicken Thighs. Not only is the recipe great but there’s something to be said for his sentiments on “emperor’s new clothes” farmer’s markets too.
- The Kitchn’s 5 Ways to Use Leftover Buttermilk is a wealth of knowledge if you’re anything like me and love leaving it to go off on the top shelf of the fridge for weeks on end.
- After my porridge complaints in my Overnight Oats post, I found this tip for oatmeal that’s not mushy very interesting.
- I love Food&_’s Food Memories posts. This week, read about Fish & Chips in Aldeburgh.
What have you been enjoying recently? Let me know what you’ve been loving down in the comments or over on Twitter @whipuntilfluffy. I’ll be back later this week with an event write up and a recipe. But now, I’m off to play with my new kittens!